What is an ADU?

ADU stands for accessory dwelling unit, which refers to a secondary housing unit that can be built on a single-family residential lot. ADUs are also known as granny flats, garage conversions, backyard houses, and room additions. Many people use these structures to maximize their living space, generate extra income, and increase home value. There are different options when building an ADU which can be attached or detached from the existing home. Existing garages may also be converted into an ADU or building above the garage can be another alternative if the existing garage structure withholds a second story building.

What is the size limit for a new ADU?

Due to state laws, an ADU must not exceed 1,200 square feet or half the size of the existing residence, whichever is smaller. An ADU consisting of 1,200 sq. ft may include two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and a bathroom to solidify your needs. We provide multiple designs to ensure your visions becomes a reality.

How do I know what to build in my property?

Every house in Los Angeles has its own corresponding zoning. R1 only allows you to build one ADU with a max 1,200 square footage and a junior ADU of 500 sq ft max if you live in a single- family home. R2 allows for two residential dwellings usually in a duplex form and R3 permits multi family units such as apartments. What you can build will have to depend on the zoning of your home.

How long does it take to build an ADU?

It is hard to give a proper timeline as many factors may slow down or speed up the process; however, an estimate can be ranged from 4-6 months.

Junior ADU FAQ

What is a junior ADU?

A junior ADU is a smaller sized secondary home consisting of 500 square feet which may accommodate your needs with an extra bedroom. An extra restroom may be included in the structure due to sanitation purposes, but it is not required by state laws as the restroom from the existing home can be used alternatively. As a separate living space, this structure may have its own panel box and its own separate address to be considered a separate unit.

How many accessory dwelling units can you have?

Single family homes that are zoned R-1 are allowed to have a regular detached ADU of up to 1,200 square feet and a junior ADU of up to 500 square feet built as an attached structure to the existing dwelling unit.

Can you rent out a junior accessory dwelling unit?

Renting out a junior ADU is allowed for long-term occupancy but cannot be used as a vacation rental. After all, the city of Los Angeles require homeowners to obtain a certificate of occupancy.

Does an ADU increase property taxes?

An addition of an ADU ultimately increases the value of one’s property which means that property taxes will increase as well. However, the increase on property tax is only on a marginal value since an ADU is considered a home addition for assessors.

Garage Conversion FAQ

Would it be more expensive to build an ADU from scratch or convert an existing garage?

Typically, a garage conversion would be less expensive since there is an existing structure (garage) already built. Costs in foundation, framing, and roofing may be some of the expenses you can save. However, if the existing foundation of the garage is damaged or in bad condition; a demolition cost needs to be added and a new foundation must be built. Under these circumstances, building an ADU from scratch would be cheaper. Code violations must also be put into consideration which is why we like to give you a free consultation on what is most suitable for your needs.

What is the process like when legalizing unpermitted ADUs?

The process of legalizing unpermitted ADUs begins with the help of our in-house consultants. They must create a set of plans for your existing property along with the unpermitted building and take them to its corresponding city hall for planning and building. Since the ADU is unpermitted, the structure must be brought up to code to comply with city regulations. Once all required changes are made and the building permit is issued, we can then move forward for inspections. You must pass all inspections if you want to legalize your ADU.

Would it be better to build an attached or detached ADU?

It depends on your current situation and the amount of space that you have available. You must keep in mind that there is a 4ft setback from the property line to any new detached construction and a 10ft easement between the existing property and the detached ADU. Attached ADUs on the other hand are additions to the existing home.

Can I get a separate electrical panel box/meter for my new ADU?

Yes, ADUs can have their own separate electrical panel box and meter. In addition, they can also have their own personal address to be considered its own separate.

Do the setbacks and easements apply when converting an existing garage in my property?

The city of LA requires a minimum 5ft setback from the side of your property line to any new structure and 10 ft from the back of your property line to any new structure. Additionally, there must be a minimum 10ft separation from the existing residential home to any new structure. However, since the existing garage was built at the same time the main house was built, these setbacks do not apply.

Is it expensive to convert a garage into an ADU?

This question has many variables, the size of the garage, attached or detached from the main home, in the front or back of the property just to name a few. The great news is that we offer a free site evaluation to help with answering this question.

How long will it take to convert my garage to an ADU?

A time frame depends on the approval process as well as your specific preferences of the conversion. Typically, a standard size 400 square feet garage conversion may take from 6-8 months including plans, permits, and construction.

Can I do a garage conversion on my property?

Many properties are eligible for garage conversions; however, we would have to do some research on on your property by attending to the planning department to ensure you are eligible for a conversion.

Interior Conversion FAQ

How do I know if I qualify for an interior conversion?

Attend your corresponding municipality to ensure you are able to do an interior conversion. It is important to plan ahead and get an understanding of your property before hiring somebody.

Why should I do an interior conversion?

Underutilized areas such as an attic or basement can be transformed into additional living units which can be used for one’s convenience. Take advantage of existing structures by putting them to use and make it a habitable area.

Do I need city permits when doing an interior conversion?

Yes, when doing an interior conversion; floor plans are required to be submitted to the city for approval. By complying with city codes and regulations, building permits may be acquired to begin any type of construction.

General FAQ

What services do you provide?

CCS Inc. provides extensive services as a design to build company located in Los Angeles. Our company customize layouts, expedites city permits, provides structural and title 24 engineering (if necessary), 3D renderings, and implements the construction all within the same umbrella. We are a one stop shop.

Do you offer your services in my area?

We served in all Los Angeles, CA and surrounding areas. Check our serving areas pages. keep in mind, not all the cities we serve are on that page, if you are living around we probably offer our services in your area.

What differentiates CCS Inc. from other competitors?

Our company consists of numerous in-house experts that are skilled to design floor plans before beginning the construction phase. With the help of our knowledgeable general contractors, CCS can provide a FREE on-site consultation to examine what the best approach would be for you. We also have a construction division that works collectively with the experts to ensure your vision becomes a reality.

Why should we hire CCS?

Our team of experts take great pride in what they do and ensure your vision becomes a reality. By designing floor plans that accommodate your needs and implementing outstanding construction, we have made many people happy. It has been a pleasure to see the smile in their faces and know we helped another individual enjoy their new living spaces.

What is the process like if I decide to move forward with CCS?

First, we must meet with you on your property to provide a free consultation from one of our consultants/general contractors. Our team of professionals are knowledgeable regarding ADU regulations, code violations and amenities on what you can build by complying with easements and setbacks. As a result, they can provide a proper estimate regarding your needs and can also explain the different phases the scope of your project will go through as shown below:

  • Design
  • Title 24 & Structural Engineering
  • Permit Expediting
  • Corrections (If necessary)
  • Construction

Does CCS deal with illegal structures and notices to comply forms?

Illegal ADUs are common in the city of Los Angeles which is why we decided to help those in need when legalizing a structure. We have dealt with multiple notices to comply and have plenty of experience in that area.

If you have more questions or would like to learn more, please feel free to contact us at (323) 405-8909.

You didn’t found the answer you looking for?

Submit your question below and we will upload your question with the best answers to this page.

    Read More